The Short Term Gain

Would like to write something little serious this time after being away from the blog for some time. And I also realised it's about time to build the readership of the blog.

So what's the news this time?

I just can't stop reflecting on the previous thought I had before I started venturing on my own. People said you have to know your way and work "smartly" in order to get clients to buy from you. It all depends on network and how you "pull" the strings together. So for a certain period, I bought that story though I never really give way for the "short-cut".

Instead of embracing it, I avoided it which took its toll on me. For the past 1.5 years in operations, I never had a chance to strike good deals, although there were couple of offers coming in (proposal requests), I just lack the courage to ask "what's your offer" or "how much percentage you want from here" or anything equivalent which provides additional income for them on top of their big fat salary from these big corporations. Couple of corporations shoved me off as I was insensitive to their "needs".

After a terrible and painful period, I soon found out that the critics were wrong (and proven wrong too). We do not have to have courage to do things which are against our self-values. How we know that? We recently managed to secure a deal from a large corporation (Government Linked too!), without compromising with our integrity. There are still people in organisations who are serious on genuine business relationships. Never lose faith.

Well it's called "pulling the strings" for reasons. Attachments are formed from the strings, which means that whatever happened to the other side of the string, affects our end too. Imagine that one day, the officer who you used to "feed" is now in the hands of the enforcers. All records of previous dealings are now being investigated. Would you be able to sleep peacefully? I bet your cold sweat will be able to fill a big bottle!

Be careful of whom we are pulling the strings from. Remember, "short-cut" = short term gain, long term lose (you lose yourself and the fundamental values you stand on to) but genuine, non-compromising integrity business = short term lose, long term gain.

Instead of complaining that the country is losing its credibility in terms of transparency, and at the same time, believing that we just have to adapt to the unclean way of doing business, stop and do otherwise. It really starts with the man in the mirror.

Start off with this: For once, if you are caught by a policeman for unintentionally breaking the law, stop putting the Ringgit note below the Driving license.

Cheers!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails