Will The Tide Ever Turn?


Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.

~ Harriet Beecher Stowe.

Came across the quote in my mailbox last week and it made me ponder. For the fact that I can see the great turn of events for the past 30 days was tremendously extraordinary.

Prior to last 30 days, there were couple of times where I felt like really quitting from what I am doing. Although I am working solely on passion and pursuing a dream which I thought would be easily achievable, it got tougher and soon the vision turned blurry. Easy way out? Look for job. Afterall, I could have persisted if I have enough money to last me till I make it, so I thought.

I hate to ask myself this question, how long could I last being broke all the time. Moment of truth came right in the mid of September, when my loyal bank accounts left with RM9 and the other with RM45. And so, I heard a loud ring! Time to send my CVs out to companies around town, hoping to hook myself a nice paying job while I planned to carry on with the business at night. And yes, at night - which subsequently I thought was ridiculous with my stamina; would have dozed off before the clock hit 9pm. The partner would have sent a C4 to my place just to wake me up. :P

What kept me going? I hope to remain as a non-quitter. Everytime I conduct a self-awareness session to youths in unicolleges, "how you do anything is how you do everything," is my favourite phrase and is frequently used. Because of the high frequency usage, I have planted it deep down into my unconscious mind. Putting it in layman term, when I started to feel like quitting, I could woke up one day (may not be subsequent day, sometimes it took me 3 days after to reach that consciousness) and thought to myself to try again - this time, some other methods and tactics. If I ever give up, I will remain a quitter in what ever I do, whether be it career, family (that's most painful), and etc.

I guess when things are not working, we just have to experiment with other ways to do stuff. Can you imagine doing the same stuff every year, expecting that the year will bear different outcome? Albert Einstein just put it in a simple word, "Insanity." Cuma orang gila yang buat kerja serupa berulang kali, harapkan hasil yang luar biasa. One of these days I should attempt to write a blog posting in Bahasa Malaysia. Who knows, the amount of readers would spike record high since the inception of this blog. :D I'm just trying something different...

I was just recently featured in Malaysia SME paper, subsequently in Malaysia Today and was invited as a guest to a midnight TV show, 8TV Nite Live - a share of fame? No. It all came
unexpectedly (I didn't ask for it, ok... LOL) and if I have made a decision to join a company prior to a month ago, where would I be? I wonder.

I am glad I have taken the action and stand. Persistence and perseverance have pulled me through. However, this is just the beginning to something great, I am sure.

Let me know if you would like to walk with me. :)

Cheers.

5 comments:

Deicidal said...

You sound like me about 4 years ago.
Carpe diem, my friend, and keep the faith. I'm not sure if anything else would keep me going.

nicgan said...

Excellent post! You have perfectly described everything I went through few months back in words. Your post now has reignited the 'fire' in me to go on further.

Melvin Chan said...

@Deicidal: Thank you for the kind words. I agree with you that it's all about doing the best and enjoy the work every day - Carpe diem. Would you mind sharing with me what are you doing now?

@nicgan: Didn't expect such a firepower in the post. Lol. I'm really happy to know that. All the best and hope to catch up with you soon. :)

Rambling Mogul said...

I too at one stage or another been at the same stage as you. But the secret truly is to keep going - just keep giving and making a change in people's lives.

Your work is solely focused on helping others better themselves - and for that you will receive back other things from the world. :)

Just keep pushing along - you're doing a good thing!

Neil

Deicidal said...

A rat-racer like most. About to join a bank. I'm glad I know someone who isn't in the rat race. ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails